Released v1.3.3 yesterday. Complete rewrite of the network layer. Schedule updates are very robust now, no more occasional out of memory crashes.
Also minor improvements in the UI, mainly in widget and live folder.
- Improved home screen widget.
- Widget now supports alerts as well. Click on the / to view all your saved alerts.
- You can see all your favourite channels. Its no longer limited to showing only first 3 favourites. Use pagination links at the bottom of the widget
(Please remove old widget before adding new one)
- Manual Refresh
- Fixed alarm issue, in some cases alarm would not work.
- New live folder for alerts
Again if you like to keep your desktop clean, you can use the new live folder to see scheduled alerts.
- Reduced initial data load time.
Many users rightly complaint that first start of app takes forever (it took close to 40 seconds with 170+ channels). When the app starts we download schedule for next 4 days for all 170+ channels, this is 1.5MB of json data. We used to gzip and send it so actually data transfer was just few KBs but it used to take 30s to create/populate local database. App used to parse json and insert into local sqlite db. We did several round of improvements like improving download time, parsing time, data insertion time etc which brought down initial start time to 30s (from original 50s) but this was still unacceptable.
With the latest release we have removed the parsing of json and inserting in db as well. Now app downloads and simply stores a pre-created sqlite db. We have a cron on the server which creates this db every hour. Simple idea but great results
- Auto refresh of data for favorite channels if you have installed home widget
In v1.2.7 we released home widget (http://www.jinilabs.com/blog/2011/06/india-tv-guide-new-home-screen-widget-with-v1-2-7/). This shows schedules of your favorite channels (only 3 now) right on your desktop but the problem is if you do not start your app for 2 days there will be no data to show. So now widget will make sure that never happens, it will keep updating data once a day automatically. So you do not have to start the app just to update data, although there will be lots of other interesting features soon that will make you open every hour
- Introduced new 'share' button on program detail screen
Earlier sharing option was difficult to find, you can use this button post to twitter or facebook.